[omniORB] Notification / Events using OmniOrb - Can I use omniorbPy?

Craig Leppan craigl@adsmr.co.za
Mon Nov 18 07:00:01 2002

Thanks for the replies on interoperability. I successfully got a java client
working with my omniorbPy server.

Two questions:

1) I want to motivate for replacing a multicast distributed system using
async UDP for messaging where important data objects are effectively
replicated by broadcasting update structures to "interested" clients, with a
CORBA Server object to which clients have access. My problem is "beating"
the event update advantage of the multicast architecure.

I know that Notify / Events in Corba is the way to go, but is it a no
brainer against a low level "push" system? or should I not bother to push
for Corba with Events / Notification. If someone has experience with a
distributed system where you want clients to be updated with new data as
opposed to having to query on a poll, and you have achieved this with Corba,
I would love to have some reference.

2) From the omniorb features page I don't see reference to Notification
Support / Event Management. Also I can't see a features page for Omniorbpy?
are they the same? I'm sure I have seen web references that refer to Omniorb
supporting Notification.?

Regards

Craig Leppan