[omniORB] Sequences of short transfered via strings...

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Fri Nov 15 17:55:01 2002

On Wednesday 13 November, Laurent Pointal wrote:

[...]

As you have already discovered, strings do not permit embedded nulls,
so you can't use strings. Also, code set conversion might change the
strings in flight, so even if you avoid storing nulls, it can still go
wrong. sequence<octet> is the only type you can use for uninterpreted
binary data. It is mapped to Python string so it is efficient.

> ...such things should be managed efficiently in the ORB without having
> to hack the IDL interface types and meaning... future enhancement of
> OmniORBpy (and futur V1.3 of OMG IDL Python mapping ?).

I don't think it should become part of the standard mapping, but it
should be easy to map all sequences of basic integer types to suitable
Numeric objects.

> This may be an ESRF & SOLEIL contract with Duncan Grisby.

If someone want to talk to me about that, I'll be happy to discuss
it...

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --