[omniORB] Sequences of short transfered via strings...

Laurent Pointal laurent.pointal@laposte.net
Wed Nov 13 18:26:01 2002

Le mer 13/11/2002 à 17:58, Renzo Tomaselli a écrit :
> Laurant,
>     I'm interested into this subject too. I noticed that both strings and
> sequence<octet> are mapped to python strings, so I think the latter is
> better for managing binary data. I always go along that way by a "typedef
> sequence<octet> Block".

May look at data types in Tango (its the IDL I use for this project -
from www.esrf.fr), but as far I remember I may only be allowed to
transmit sequences of short, long, double or string in the
Tango::Attribute.value Any field.

> But I still wonder about how you deal with endianness in a clean way, e.i.
> by forcing a specific little/big normalization or by sending out an extra
> boolean value to inform the receiver.
> Regards,
>
> Renzo Tomaselli

Hum, currently I know that both client and server are on the same host,
so I dont care of this :-)...

In my case the simplest solution look like to add a Tango command in the
server which return a boolean. The idea to force for an endianness
normalization is not - I think - the good way, in case of client and
server with bad endianness, they will both swap all their data... just
for transmission.

...such things should be managed efficiently in the ORB without having
to hack the IDL interface types and meaning... future enhancement of
OmniORBpy (and futur V1.3 of OMG IDL Python mapping ?).
This may be an ESRF & SOLEIL contract with Duncan Grisby.

A+

Laurent.

--
Laurent POINTAL - laurent.pointal@laposte.net