[omniORB] Server Timeout

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Fri Nov 8 17:50:01 2002

On Friday 8 November, jorgefm@cirsa.com wrote:

> But it raises another question. The notification which bloqued
> the server is defined 'oneway' in the IDL file. Then i supposed
> wrongly, that the thread will try to send the data without blocking
> and return.

The first time omniORB contacts an object, it performs a locate
request on it, even if the operation being called is oneway. This is
important in the face of location forwards and dynamic object
activations, and things like that. That's the thing that is blocking.

> I was looking for a way to send non-critical notifications with no
> time-penalty (no timeout), but with the 'clientCallTimeOutPeriod'
> you have to put a compromising 'value' that fits all the application's
> clients range that your system manage, or put a different value
> for every ORB you use.

omniORB 4 out of CVS supports per-thread and per object reference
timeouts, as well as the global per process timeout, so that might do
what you want.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --