[omniORB] Oneway

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Wed Nov 6 11:06:02 2002

On Tuesday 5 November, "Ulf Stoermer" wrote:

> For how long would omniORB keep open an unused connection?

See the inConScanPeriod and outConScanPeriod configuration parameters.

> In our application I was thinking of using oneway calls for the update
> messages of an observer pattern. Our system would typically have
> long periods where nothing is happening but also sudden bursts of
> very high activity.

There is no problem if a connection has been closed before the client
invokes a oneway. In that case it will open a new connection. The only
problem is if the server closes the connection at the same time the
client is sending a oneway. If you are using omniORB everywhere, you
can prevent that situation by simply setting the inConScanPeriod to be
longer than the outConScanPeriod, meaning the clients will always
close connections before the server does.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --