[omniORB] Connecting to a OmniORB server

Alexander Deruwe aderuwe@aqs-carcontrol.be
Thu May 30 09:58:00 2002

Hewwo all,

[I'm going to ask a pretty basic question I think, but I have not been
able to find clear enough documentation or examples on the matter.
Please point me to the right documentation if I missed it.]

I'm creating a CORBA server that maps database tables to objects so the
client program doesn't need to do database stuff. I've been coding and
testing for a few weeks on localhost, so I do stuff like this for
connecting to the server:

nameservice_obj = orb.resolve_initial_references("NameService")

How would I code this for a remote server? I've tried (from
http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/omni30/omniORB/omniORB004.html):

nameservice_obj = orb.resolve_initial_references("corbaloc:rir:/NameService")
and
nameservice_obj =vorb.resolve_initial_references("corbaname::192.168.0.1")

but they both seem to free the nameserver (i.e. falling back to the
localhost way fails after this too and I have to restart the nameserver)

I'm using python-omniorb Version: 1:3.0.4.1-8 on debian unstable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (since I am very new to this whole
CORBA thing (but it, Python and wxPython are making me more productive
than with any other languages/toolkits I've tried so far))

Thanks,

--
Alexander Deruwe
AQS-CarControl