[omniORB] 4.0.0 RPMs

Thomas Lockhart lockhart@fourpalms.org
Wed May 29 15:09:02 2002

> > 1) Typically an extra path prefix is defined in the makefiles to allow
> > "installing" into something other than the intended installation area,
> > so something like RPM can take those files and package them up. DESTDIR
> > is typically used for this, and is typically left blank for non-package
> > builds. The line defining a path then looks like $(DESTDIR)$(prefix) and
> > make has DESTDIR set on the command line.
> Adding the DESTDIR thing has been on my list of things to do. I think
> it's probably better to put it in individual install rules, rather
> than modifying the prefix, since things in future might need to know
> the unmodified prefix.

OK, I see the style you suggest in another package too. Can I help by
submitting patches using that technique? I'm new to omniORB and am not
sure how you would prefer to see contributions. I'd like to push this
into the source tree asap to get the RPM building to minimize the amount
of required patching.

> > 2) The IDL files are installed into $prefix/idl. istm that this should
> > be configurable to allow setting this to be somewhere other than
> > /usr/idl (which does not otherwise exist on my Mandrake 8.1 Linux box).
> The current CVS version puts them in /usr/share/idl by default.

OK. Is it a configurable item yet?

> > 3) The catior utility has the same name as a similar utility in TAO. So
> > RPMs built for both packages and targeted at /usr will conflict. I
> > renamed catior to be "omnicatior" for now; any suggestions for better
> > (non-conflicting) names?
> That's annoying. I don't want to change omniORB's catior. Why not
> change the TAO one? :-)   Since the tools do essentially the same
> thing, I don't think it would be a problem to miss out catior if there
> is already something with that name. Is it possible to do that with
> RPM?

No. The best I could do would be to put it in a separate RPM which could
be ignored if desired. Or leave the name as-is and require "rpm --force"
to ignore the conflict if TAO were also installed. I *could* bury it
down in bin/omni/catior (and bin/tao/catior) but that seems to be the
least desirable option.

fwiw I would also rename the TAO utility of the same name to spread the
joy ;)

I'm not suggesting that the omniORB utility be renamed in the tarball,
but am suggesting that it could be renamed for purposes of the RPM
packaging. My next round of RPMs for TAO could rename its version of
catior also...

                     - Thomas