[omniORB] 4.0.0 RPMs

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Wed May 29 12:00:07 2002

On Tuesday 28 May, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> 1) Typically an extra path prefix is defined in the makefiles to allow
> "installing" into something other than the intended installation area,
> so something like RPM can take those files and package them up. DESTDIR
> is typically used for this, and is typically left blank for non-package
> builds. The line defining a path then looks like $(DESTDIR)$(prefix) and
> make has DESTDIR set on the command line.

Adding the DESTDIR thing has been on my list of things to do. I think
it's probably better to put it in individual install rules, rather
than modifying the prefix, since things in future might need to know
the unmodified prefix.

> 2) The IDL files are installed into $prefix/idl. istm that this should
> be configurable to allow setting this to be somewhere other than
> /usr/idl (which does not otherwise exist on my Mandrake 8.1 Linux box).

The current CVS version puts them in /usr/share/idl by default.

> 3) The catior utility has the same name as a similar utility in TAO. So
> RPMs built for both packages and targeted at /usr will conflict. I
> renamed catior to be "omnicatior" for now; any suggestions for better
> (non-conflicting) names?

That's annoying. I don't want to change omniORB's catior. Why not
change the TAO one? :-)   Since the tools do essentially the same
thing, I don't think it would be a problem to miss out catior if there
is already something with that name. Is it possible to do that with
RPM?

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --