[omniORB] 4.0.0 RPMs

Thomas Lockhart lockhart@fourpalms.org
Tue May 28 23:36:00 2002

--------------8901D3076291364D0EFC3C50

I've built RPMs for omniORB and omniORBpy for a 4/26 snapshot tarball.
The following issues came up:

1) Typically an extra path prefix is defined in the makefiles to allow
"installing" into something other than the intended installation area,
so something like RPM can take those files and package them up. DESTDIR
is typically used for this, and is typically left blank for non-package
builds. The line defining a path then looks like $(DESTDIR)$(prefix) and
make has DESTDIR set on the command line.

2) The IDL files are installed into $prefix/idl. istm that this should
be configurable to allow setting this to be somewhere other than
/usr/idl (which does not otherwise exist on my Mandrake 8.1 Linux box).
I do see a /usr/share/idl which has an ORBit directory and what is
probably something left over from omniORB 3.x. I'm not very familiar
with autoconf-2.5x and am not certain what the preferred way to add an
option of this nature is. My recollection is that for older autoconf
configure.in files, I'd see examples right in the code. Is there a file
system standard suggested for the location of IDL files? My inclination
would be to put them under /usr/include/omniORB (or something) rather
than defining an otherwise unused area like /usr/idl. Suggestions?

3) The catior utility has the same name as a similar utility in TAO. So
RPMs built for both packages and targeted at /usr will conflict. I
renamed catior to be "omnicatior" for now; any suggestions for better
(non-conflicting) names?

4) Same issue of DESTDIR for omniORBpy.

I've enclosed a patch file for the first two issues (item (1) seems to
be easy; not sure if my patch for item (2) is appropriate). I've also
included a patch to cover item (4), same as (1) but for omniORBpy.

I'm not sure the best way to release RPMs. I understand that not much
has been done for 4.0.x and RPMs yet; if folks would be interested in
these I'd be happy to contribute them...

hth

                     - Thomas
--------------8901D3076291364D0EFC3C50

Only in omni: #acinclude.m4#
diff -cr omni.orig/idl/COS/GNUmakefile.in omni/idl/COS/GNUmakefile.in
*** omni.orig/idl/COS/GNUmakefile.in	Tue Feb 19 04:57:34 2002
--- omni/idl/COS/GNUmakefile.in	Fri May 24 16:50:54 2002
***************
*** 4,10 ****
  VPATH=@srcdir@
  INSTALL=@INSTALL@

! INSTALLDIR = $(prefix)/idl/omniORB/COS

  FILES = AttNotifyChannelAdmin.idl CosCollection.idl			\
          CosCompoundLifeCycle.idl CosConcurrencyControl.idl		\
--- 4,10 ----
  VPATH=@srcdir@
  INSTALL=@INSTALL@

! INSTALLDIR = $(prefix)/include/omniORB/COS

  FILES = AttNotifyChannelAdmin.idl CosCollection.idl			\
          CosCompoundLifeCycle.idl CosConcurrencyControl.idl		\
diff -cr omni.orig/mk/beforeauto.mk.in omni/mk/beforeauto.mk.in
*** omni.orig/mk/beforeauto.mk.in	Thu Mar 21 02:59:12 2002
--- omni/mk/beforeauto.mk.in	Sun May 26 11:41:20 2002
***************
*** 34,40 ****
  # Directories for installation
  #

! prefix        	 := @prefix@
  exec_prefix   	 := @exec_prefix@
  INSTALLTARGET 	 := 1
  INSTALLINCDIR 	 := @includedir@
--- 34,40 ----
  # Directories for installation
  #

! prefix        	 := $(DESTDIR)@prefix@
  exec_prefix   	 := @exec_prefix@
  INSTALLTARGET 	 := 1
  INSTALLINCDIR 	 := @includedir@

--------------8901D3076291364D0EFC3C50

diff -cr omniORBpy.orig/mk/beforeauto.mk.in omniORBpy/mk/beforeauto.mk.in
*** omniORBpy.orig/mk/beforeauto.mk.in	Tue Feb 19 04:49:12 2002
--- omniORBpy/mk/beforeauto.mk.in	Sat May 25 18:14:10 2002