[omniORB] Application Design Question

bjorn rohde jensen shamus@tdcadsl.dk
Mon May 27 14:56:01 2002

Hi Jorge,

 Using CORBA as a means of communication between distinct
modules is probably a very good idea. If you are concerned
about performance and reliability, you do have a few options.
You can link the critical modules into the executables, you
get pretty much the performance and reliability of a virtual
call that way. You can tell omniORB to use loopback or pipes
for host local communication to avoid network problems by
specifying the -ORBendPoints omniORB is to listen for incoming
CORBA traffic.
 I am not sure, that using the loopback interface and pipes
is really all that much more reliable than using a net card
for host local traffic. I think, it is mostly a speed issue,
the loopback MTU is quite a bit bigger than the ether net MTU
and so on...
 Using -ORBendPoint options to specify several endpoints
requires multi profile object references to work properly, and
that means GIOP 1.2 and omniORB4. I have heard of orbs not
handling multi profile object references properly, so
inter operability might be an issue for you.
 I do not think, omniORB can use shared memory for giop
traffic. I read something about shm not being worth the
trouble compared to using the loopback.

Yours sincerely,

Bjorn