[omniORB] Threading in python

Thomas Lockhart lockhart@fourpalms.org
Thu, 02 May 2002 19:39:15 -0700

I see mention that orb.run() is a blocking call. And it seems to block
normal python threads just fine :/

Is this an orb configuration issue or do I need to use another threading
technique (say, a call to an omniORB method) to get parallel threads
working? I noticed that the omniORB docs say that orb.run() is optional;
if I omit it do I get server-side behavior without the blocking?

I'm doing the tests with a -latest tarball fetched a week or so ago
which seems to be of the -4 and -2 tree, though it is not obvious from
the package docs.

btw, my test case involves spawning a thread which prints some counts,
sleeps in between each one, then exits. This thread stops once orb.run()
is called. I can give more details if that would be helpful.

(I tried to research this in the archives, but didn't get a hit for some
reason.)

TIA

                      - Thomas