[omniORB] omniORB with VC7

Sandro Tolaini tolaini@libero.it
27 Mar 2002 16:05:05 +0100

On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 02:43, Kevin Wooten wrote:

> Microsoft has changed the C runtime library DLL in version 7. The new DLL is named MSVCR70.DLL, as opposed to MSVCRT.DLL in 6. Python comes compiled with VC6 and thus links with MSVCRT.DLL. When running omniidl, the idl source file is opened by Python code and this makes the FILE pointer Python passes back to omniidl invalid, as it was allocated in MSVCRT.DLL, and omniidl attempts to use it with MSVCR70.DLL. The fix for this problem remains to compile omniidl in VC6, or compile Python in VC7. Although, I have not tried compiling Python in VC7 so I cannot attest to its validity.

I think you are right (I already noticed the double msvcr70.dll and
msvcrt.dll import in the omniidl executable).

FILE struct changes are always source of havoc, as FreeBSD-CURRENT users
experienced some time ago.

Can we work out a good solution? Having to compile python extensions
with the same compiler used to compile Python is a mess... I think that
this breaks omniORBpy, also.

Cheers,
  Sandro Tolaini