[omniORB] Few comments on omniORB 4 build process

Teemu Torma tot@trema.com
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 18:51:48 +0100

On Wednesday 13 March 2002 18:06, Duncan Grisby wrote:
> > - Currently the makefiles assume that openssl is installed.  I am
> > sometimes building it against the openssl that is built at the same
> > time.  It would be nice if there would be possibility to tell this
> > to autoconf (the only problem is that it assumes that libraries are
> > under /lib in openssl root, which is not the case in the build
> > tree).
>
> I think trying to cope with things like that will make everything too
> tricky, and even more complicated. If you can come up with a way of
> doing it that isn't too cumbersome, I'll include it.

Maybe to have -openssl-includes= and -openssl-libs= to override the default
openssl root relative paths?

> > - The install directories are missing DESTDIR (or similiar) handling to
> > install to a different location for packaging.  Of course one could
> > change prefix, but if something is recompiled, it might screw something
> > else.
>
> That's definitely a good idea. Is there a standard way for doing that?

The common way is to just have $(DESTDIR) that is added before all install
paths.  Like in beforeauto.mk:

INSTALLBINDIR 	 := $(DESTDIR)${exec_prefix}/bin
INSTALLLIBDIR 	 := $(DESTDIR)${exec_prefix}/lib

Thus, if prefix is /usr/local, by saying "make install DESTDIR=/tmp/" would
install everything under /tmp/usr/local/..  This way, if DESTDIR is empty, it
does not disturb anything.

I tested it, and it is only the five variables in beforeauto.mk, plus the
ones in idl/GNUmakefile and idl/COS/GNUmakefile.

Teemu