[omniORB] Few comments on omniORB 4 build process

Teemu Torma tot@trema.com
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:43:54 +0100

I just tried out the new autoconf based building process of omniORB 4, and
following are my comments on that one.  It basically works quite well,
everything is built on Linux/Solaris environments.

I am importing the source into CVS and driving the build process to match
rest of the system.  I found some issues, some of which are relevant only if
importing to CVS:

- Headers are still depending on preprocessor options given by makefiles
(like __OSVERSION__).  I think only CORBA_sysdep.h should use those for the
old-style building, and omniconfig.h should have everything othewise.
Currently at least omnithread.h uses makefile supplied options to determine
which threading package is needed.

- The autoconf makefiles write over the old-style makefiles.  I think the
build process should not modify any distributed file.  One solution would be
to have the old-style makefiles called Makefile, and autoconf ones
GNUmakefile.

Less important ones, and probably not affecting others:

- Currently the makefiles assume that openssl is installed.  I am sometimes
building it against the openssl that is built at the same time.  It would be
nice if there would be possibility to tell this to autoconf (the only problem
is that it assumes that libraries are under /lib in openssl root, which is
not the case in the build tree).

- The install directories are missing DESTDIR (or similiar) handling to
install to a different location for packaging.  Of course one could change
prefix, but if something is recompiled, it might screw something else.

- Just a personal wish: I would prefer the top level makefile to be called
Makefile, instead of GNUmakefile.  That leaves room for GNUmakefile to be
used for controlling the build process (that's what I am doing with other
autoconf software).

Teemu