[omniORB] Problems running a CORBA Server as an NT Service

Vinaya Kavathekar vinaya@marathontechnologies.com
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:37:51 -0500

Hello all,

I have a CORBA server application that uses the omniINSPOA for resolving
initial references on Windows 2000. I've had no trouble connecting multiple
clients either in debug/release versions until I converted this application
into an NT service.

Here's what I see
 1) Clients can connect to the service if it is in Debug mode
 2) Clients can connect to the command-line server in *both* Debug and
Release mode.
 3) Connections fail when the application is started as a service in the
Release mode.

I understand that any number of things can go wrong between Release and
Debug version. But since the app. runs well in both modes from command line
I suspect I'm missing something crucial with regards to running a CORBA
server as a service.

I've tried debugging the client for communication failure reasons and it
appears that the remote _is_a call fails. This is exactly similar to the
server's being not alive. I've also added message logs in the server and
made sure that it is really up and running and all objects activated without
generating any exceptions. And yes, I also tried linking omniOrb libraries
statically. Has anyone tried to do anything similar? Any pointers in the
right direction will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Vinaya