[omniORB] question on usage of omniORB

Renzo Tomaselli renzo.tomaselli@tecnotp.it
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:03:49 +0100

Hi all,
    we had similar issues, although not for command line usage. A general
problem class is how to map a symbolic representation of objects vs. one =
of
their "living" implementation, and this becomes very important whenever
administration/configuration issues enter the game.
Such a need appears for large-grained persistent objects, such as service=
or other top-level entities.
The solution we adopted has been taken once more from genior/catior tools=
:
we manage <host,port,key,typeID> tuples and then we generate a "syntetic"
IOR through a general building method. This solution offers a much friend=
ly
dataset to maintain in case objects move and it is also much handier for
display/debug/check as compared to blind IOR strings.
A further advantage is the capability to dynamically switch across severa=
implementations of the same object according to specific requirements, su=
ch
as in/out-process, a more convenient host, etc.
A minor disadvantage concerns the need to agree on the key, e.g. the real
object "name".
No name service is involved since we never use it.
While not standard we feel this approach cannot be avoided for many real
life applications and I wonder while it never took place in any CORBA spe=
cs.
revision, al least for TCP/IP profiles.
Sincerely,
                                             Renzo Tomaselli
TecnoTP s.n.c. Special Information System Design
Maso Pelauchi I38050 Ronchi Valsugana,  Trento TN  ITALY
Tel. +39 0461 773164      Fax. +39 0461 771514
e-mail: renzo.tomaselli@tecnotp.it