[omniORB] omniORB4 documentation (was limit incoming connexions...)

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Tue Jun 11 21:13:01 2002

On Tuesday 11 June, Brian Edmonds wrote:

> Where can I find documentation on omniORB4?  I've poked around the
> website and the CVS doc directory with no luck.

At the moment the best documentation is on the Wiki page:

  http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/OmniOrb4DevelopmentStatus

I'm currently working on updating the omniORB manual for omniORB 4.

> My inital tests[1] show basic Orbacus 3.3.2 to be around 10% faster than
> omniORB4, and my hacked version using receiver thread pools[2] to be
> about 100% faster.  I'd like to find out how I can tweak omniORB4 to
> speed it up.

That is very surprising. All the benchmarks I've ever seen show
omniORB to be a fair bit faster than ORBacus. You might try turning
the debugging thread tracing off. If you use the Autoconf configure,
give it the --disable-thread-tracing argument; if you don't use
configure, edit include/omniconfig.h in the obvious way. That will
make things a bit faster.

Other options you might try are turning off PortableServer::Current
support, with the -ORBsupportCurrent 0 command line option, and the
thread pool policy with -ORBthreadPerConnectionPolicy 0.

Out of interest, do you have a comparison with ORBacus 4?  omniORB 3
and 4 are marginally slower than omniORB 2, due to the extra overheads
of the POA.

Are you able to post your test code?

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --