[omniORB] omniORB4 documentation (was limit incoming connexions...)

Brian Edmonds brian.edmonds@crystaldecisions.com
Tue Jun 11 19:51:05 2002

Duncan Grisby <duncan@grisby.org> writes:
> omniORB 4 can be set to use a thread pool, so you can limit the number
> of threads that omniORB creates

Where can I find documentation on omniORB4?  I've poked around the
website and the CVS doc directory with no luck.

I'm currently comparing omniORB against our inhouse version of Orbacus.
The company is thinking of upgrading to Orbacus4, but with the BOA to
POA change I see an opportunity to switch vendors, and I would
personally like to be able to recommend an open source ORB.

My inital tests[1] show basic Orbacus 3.3.2 to be around 10% faster than
omniORB4, and my hacked version using receiver thread pools[2] to be
about 100% faster.  I'd like to find out how I can tweak omniORB4 to
speed it up.

Brian.

[1] 64 clients running a "Hello World!" query as fast as they can.

[2] Instead of one reader thread per client connection, use a pool of
threads that pick up ready clients from a queue.  The queue is fed by a
separate thread select()ing on the client sockets.  I've never quite
explained to myself why this is so much faster.