[omniORB] building omniORBpy

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Thu Jul 25 14:28:01 2002

On Wednesday 24 July, "Arnault Bonafos" wrote:

> The release notes of omniORBpy says that the archive should be expanded into
> the src/lib directory of the omniORB source tree and we are wondering if
> there is a way to have completely two different trees for omniORBpy and
> omniORB so that can minimize dependancies between the two.

If you are using a Unix platform, and the autoconf support works for
you, you can (and should, in fact) build omniORBpy outside the main
omniORB tree. Windows builds have to be done with omniORBpy inside
omniORB's src/lib.

> Also we were wondering how omniORBpy developers were handling versions
> during the development, basically src/lib/omniORBpy is tagged
> "omnipy2_develop", which tag is used for dependent libraries in bin
> (omniORB400_rt.dll and omnithread30_rt.dll)?

I don't understand what you are asking. Binaries aren't in the source
repository, so they don't get tagged at all.

> Also in the case of one source directory how will be handled versioning in
> the futur?
> For example let's imagine that a fix goes into one of the public templates
> of omniORB, will it require a recompilation of omniORBpy?

It depends exactly what changes in omniORB. Most things won't affect
omniORBpy, but some changes might affect it. It's always best to
update both omniORB and omniORBpy at the same time.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --