[omniORB] How can I creat a hot-standby name service?

Lars von Wedel vonWedel@lfpt.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Jul 22 16:27:02 2002

--------------9C9CF71ABE69B709CBC26419

Duncan,

I may lack some understanding here, but I doubt this will work
because I see no synchronization between the two name servers'
log files?

I guess some kind of synchronization or access to
the same log files via some network file system would be
required in addition?

Lars

Duncan Grisby wrote:

> On Monday 22 July, "zlr" wrote:

> Please don't send HTML mail to the mailing list.
>
> >     In our project, we want to install name service and Database in same
> > pc.
> >     The problem is our database can suppore hot standby. If the Database
> > is switch over( the name service also switch over to another PC ), the
> > new client will cannot connect to server which is running.
> >
> >     Who can tell me how can I resolve this problem?
>
> If you are using omniORB 4.0, you can create a reference to the naming
> service that contains multiple addresses, with a URI like
> "corbaname::1.2@first.host.name,:1.2@second.host.name". The 1.2
> version selection is important, since 1.0 doesn't support the
> alternate addresses.
>
> If you do that, omniORB will transparently fall over to using the
> second address if the first one fails (and go back to the first one if
> the second one fails, and so on...).
>
> If you want all the NamingContexts within the name service to publish
> both addresses, look into the endPointNoPublish option.
>
> In omniORB 3.0, there's no option but to make the applications aware
> of the situation and have them retry if they get COMM_FAILUREs.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Duncan.
>
> --
>  -- Duncan Grisby         --
>   -- duncan@grisby.org     --
>    -- http://www.grisby.org --
--------------9C9CF71ABE69B709CBC26419

begin:vcard
n:von Wedel;Lars
tel;fax:++49 241 8092326
tel;work:++49 241 8095240
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.lfpt.rwth-aachen.de
org:RWTH Aachen;Lehrstuhl fuer Prozesstechnik
adr:;;Turmstrasse 46;52064 Aachen;;;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:vonWedel@lfpt.rwth-aachen.de
fn:Lars von Wedel
end:vcard