[omniORB] interprocess comm

Mann, Gary (London) MannGar@exchange.uk.ml.com
Fri Jul 12 10:06:01 2002

COM of course uses a lightweight RPC scheme based around the Windows message
queue. This is how COM objects in different thread apartments in the same
process communicate with each other. I believe they do it this way as it is
faster than using named pipes, DCE RPC etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Luke Deller [mailto:ldeller@xplantechnology.com]
Sent: 12 July 2002 06:10
To: omniorb-list@realvnc.com
Subject: Re: [omniORB] interprocess comm

Hi Duncan,

Duncan Grisby wrote:
> No. Windows has no equivalent fast local machine stream transport
> (that I'm aware of).

Have you considered win32 named pipes?  I think that they can be used as a
fast local machine stream transport.  Here is the documentation for them:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ipc/pipes_0
tmb.asp

Unfortunately they are only supported by Windows NT/2000/XP, not 95/98/Me.

Regards,
Luke.