[omniORB] Collocation: call on servant directly or via object reference ?

Brecht Vermeulen brecht.vermeulen@rug.ac.be
Sat Jul 6 14:46:02 2002

Hi,

I know this question is not purely omniORB specific (although there will
be omniORB specific things probably), but nevertheless I think some
people have some good ideas on this.

The situation is as follows (simplified): a CORBA server has two
different CORBA objects with different IDL interfaces and one object
needs to call operations on the other.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using calls directly on the
servant (via C++ pointer) or operations on a CORBA object reference
(obtained via _this() e.g.) ?

As far as I remember I think that omniORB shortcuts local collocated
calls but are both options than exactly the same (in speed,
functionality, ...) ? Is there e.g. POA functionality that could be used
extra if using CORBA operations ?

thanks for any information on this,

Brecht