[omniORB] new C++ mapping

Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:28:25 +0000

On Thursday 24 January, jnye@micro-optics.com wrote:

> Has anyone thought of creating a new C++ mapping for OmniOrb that uses the
> STL instead of the classes defined by the presently released mapping? I'm
> pretty sure that there is no mapping like this defined by the OMG, but it
> sounds to me like it would be a very interesting project that could later be
> proposed to the OMG.

Thanks for volunteering :-)

The big problem with coming up with a new C++ mapping is that there is
a huge installed base of people using the existing mapping. For all
the current mapping's faults, I don't think many existing CORBA users
would switch. That would mean a new mapping would have to be
maintained alongside the existing one, making maintenance harder.

I agree that it would be an interesting project, but I suspect the OMG
would reject it due to lack of commitment from the major ORB vendors.