[omniORB] OmniORB3 and multiple network interfaces

baileyk@schneider.com baileyk@schneider.com
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 08:12:19 -0600

Web server clients typically rely on DNS to resolve a host name.  I believe
you can convince some ORBs to include only a host name rather than an IP
address in an IOR, which should make the IOR as easy for clients to use as
a typical URL.  I haven't needed to do so with omniORB, but I'm pretty sure
it could do this.  I think Duncan has described dealing with NAT routers
this way.

The name service doesn't help your case.  It is a repository of IORs, bound
to names.  Each IOR in the name service would need to have address
information in a form usable by all clients.  The CORBA name service is not
equivalent to DNS.

Hope this helps

Kendall Bailey

                    ml@knorke.in-berlin.de (ml)
                    Sent by:                            To:     Duncan Grisby <dgrisby@uk.research.att.com>
                    owner-omniorb-list@uk.resear        cc:     omniorb-list@uk.research.att.com
                    ch.att.com                          Fax to:
                                                        Subject:     Re: [omniORB] OmniORB3 and multiple network interfaces

                    01/26/2002 06:35 AM

Hallo,

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 10:01:19AM +0000, Duncan Grisby wrote:
> Unfortunately, omniORB 3 clients only ever try to contact the first
> address listed in an object reference. This means you can use omniORB
> 3 to solve the first problem, where you have two network interfaces,
> and it's picking the wrong one, but it won't work fully with three
> interfaces.
>
> omniORB 4 clients do try all the addresses in turn, so you might want
> to look at that.

I don't quiet understand the idea, that the server has to
specify a number of interfaces and the client has to pick
the right address.  If the client tries all addresses in
turn, isn't there the danger that the wrong server get's
connected, if it has the same services available?

Do you think a name service would help for this problem?

Cheers and thanks in advance!