[omniORB] OmniORB3 and multiple network interfaces

ml ml@knorke.in-berlin.de
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 13:29:35 +0100

Hallo,

thanks for your explanation and especially for the links to
the documentation!

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 11:44:08AM +1100, Luke Deller wrote:
> ml wrote:
> > We are developing an OmniORB3 based server.  The machine has
> > more than one network interface.  Unfortunately, the IOR
> > string contains the "wrong" IP number.  In fact, we may have
> > up to three interfaces, say eth0, ppp0, and xxx0.  Both eth0
> > and ppp0 should be in the IOR string, but not xxx0, because
> > it has a "local" IP address assigned (192.168.x.y).  How can
> > this be done with OmniORB3?  I'm sure, that this is a
> > common problem with a standard solution, right?
>
> With OmniORB3, you can configure which interface to listen on (and publish
> in the IOR string), but you can only specify one interface.  Here is the

Thanks, I already read that, but I wasn't sure, wether it
would help me!  I will try that.  I just don't know yet
how to find out the hostname under WinNT...

Now a CORBA beginners question I believe: Why does the
server have to specify the interface anyway? If I have a web
server such as apache, I can allow that all request via all
network interfaces are allowed, and the client does not have
to have a list of different ways to reach the server.  Why
this complicated mechanism in CORBA?  Would a CosNaming
service help here?

Cheers!