[omniORB] Release and nil references

David Bellette david.bellette@nec.com.au
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:22:37 +1100

Excuse me for the newbie question but should CORBA::release() called on a _ptr or _var object set the object variable to nil?
Hopefully it will be an easy one for you old hands  :-)

Example:

Echo_ptr     lEcho = ....            // resolve object

CORBA::release(lEcho);

if (CORBA::is_nil(lEcho))
{
        // shouldn't code continue here???

}

Same goes if Echo_var is used instead of Echo_ptr above.

I'm finding that CORBA::is_nil() is returning false after calling release.

Am I doing something wrong or should I being doing the following so is_nil() functions correctly?

CORBA::release(lEcho);
lEcho = Echo::_nil();

Thanks for your help

David

P.S. I'm using omniORB4 snap shot from 20011213 on Windows NT 4