[omniORB] crosscompiling omniorb 3 for embedded linux ppc405 - recipe and problem

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Sun, 06 Jan 2002 23:40:09 -0800

Hi,
my colleague Steve and I are trying out Corba on x86 linux
desktops and embedded Hard Hat 2.0 linux on embedded ppc405.
He's putting together a recipe for how to compile Omniorb3
for both environments and run the omniorb echo example between
them.  A first draft of the recipe is at
   http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~diffusor/omni-ppc405/omni-ppc405.html
Maybe it will be useful for others trying to use Corba on the ppc.
(It also contains our script for building a gcc3.02 crosscompiler.
Yes, I know 3.03 is out... we'll switch soon.)

We're having a problem, though; the servant dies with an exception
if run on the ppc.  We don't yet have a debugger on our ppc system
-- that's next -- so who knows what the issue is.  The client
works fine on the ppc, so we're at least partway there.

Has anybody else on this list done cross development with
Omniorb?

- Dan

p.s.
Omniorb appears to have no concept of installation; it appears
to be of the 'plop the source down somewhere, edit the config file,
run make, and start mixing your own source code into the omniorb tree'
school of thought.  Our recipe 'solves' that, and shows how to install
omniorb as root, and build programs as normal users.  We would rather
have just installed the Debian package, but that doesn't support
cross-development...