[omniORB] omniORB 3.0.4 on debian, name service runs on port 8088

Bang, Steinar Steinar.bang@tandbergtv.com
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 13:40:32 +0100

Duncan Grisby [mailto:dgrisby@uk.research.att.com] writes:

> On Thursday 3 January, "Bang, Steinar" wrote:
>> But according to lsof -i, the naming service was still
>> running on port 8088.  The only effect I got from
>> changing the omniORB.cfg file, was that my C++ clients
>> could no longer contact the naming service. :-)

> omniNames keeps a log file, so each time it starts it uses the same
> port as before (and all the name bindings). You need to discover where
> Debian has chosen to put its omniNames log, and delete it. Then, one
> time only, run omniNames -start. That will create a new log file using
> the default port of 2809. After that, whenever omniNames starts up it
> will be on port 2809.

Here's what I did, step by step:
 1. edit /etc/omniORB.cfg to contain only the line
	ORBInitRef NameService=corbaname::localhost
 2. make omniNames run on port 2809:
	/etc/init.d/omniorb stop
	cd /var/log/
	rm omninames-*
	omniNames -start
      (I pressed C-c to interrupt it)
	/etc/init.d/omniorb start

> It would be helpful if you could contact whoever maintains the Debian
> package, and ask them to fix it.

I have filed a bug report with severity important on the package.
It will hopefully arrive here at some point:
	<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=omniorb>

- Steinar

This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL to
TANDBERG Television. If received in error please notify the sender and
destroy the original message and attachments.