[omniORB] Measuring omniorb's footprint. New footprint benchmark.

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 08:58:56 -0800

Duncan Grisby wrote:
> Your pipe based server also has the huge advantage that the pipes are
> already opened before you do the "calls". omniORB opens a connection
> to the server on the first invocation. If you do a call to each server
> before the calls that you time, you'll find it goes quite a lot
> faster, since the TCP connections will already be open.

Hang on a minute.  As it happens, I *do* warm up all but one of
the connections to the server before the measurement.  The code is

do {
     spawn one more server process
     t0 = now
     ping all servers in parallel
     delta = now - t0
} while (delta < 100ms)

So the benchmark is more fair than you thought.  To make it even
fairer, I just have to call the most recent server before
the measurement period.  I doubt that'll make a huge difference
in my limited-memory scenario, but it would in a system
where RAM was unlimited.  I'll make that change in my next release.
- Dan