[omniORB] question on building omniORB3

Stefan Seefeld seefeld@sympatico.ca
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 21:13:15 -0500

Donna Maskell wrote:

> Hi --
>
> I am involved in an effort to evaluate omniORB for use in our target
> environment and have started with the host machines we use. I am trying
> to build omniORB3 from source files for 3.0.4 on two platforms:
> SGI/IRIX6.5/MIPSpro7.3 and PC/Windows NT&2K/MSVC++6.0. Neither one
> works.

from your log it appears neither is a problem related to omniORB.

> I don't know how relevant it is but I downloaded perl and installed it
> on the PC myself, and it passed all its tests but won't run a perl
> script I got from someone else.

yes, that *does* sound relevant.

> On the SGI, the "make export" works (although it has a lot of
> warnings), but the README_unix (from the website) in paragraph
> Configuration, step 4 ("Add omniORB libraries to search path") shows an
> editing step that look like they are being done from a command line, but
> I could not make them work from my command line. Finally I used "setenv
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH <etc>", which did not get an error, but the "export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH" failed because the command "export" does not exist.
> What might I have done incorrectly?

read about what a 'shell' is. Both let you set 'environment variables'
that are used by processes you start. LD_LIBRARY_PATH is such a variable,
and it is used by the loader to find shared libraries when starting applications.
Depending on your shell (sh or tcsh, say) you can set variables using
a shell command 'export' or 'setenv'. It appears you are using tcsh or csh,
and 'setenv' did the job. The second (involving 'export' would be used in
case of a 'sh'.

Hope that helps to get you started.

Regards,
		Stefan