[omniORB] Method invocation hangs

Patrick Hartling patrick@vrac.iastate.edu
Fri, 08 Feb 2002 16:47:32 -0600

I am experiencing a very strange problem that I have not been able to
track down so far.  We are using omniORB 3.0.4 for a C++ application, and
we connect to it using a Java ORB.  (So far, we have tried Java IDL with
JDK 1.4 and OpenORB 1.2.0.)  We have C++ objects acting as servants, and
our Java code gets references to those servants to manipulate the C++
application.

When we make the initial connection to the Naming Service, everything
works fine on both the Java and the C++ sides.   We can request a
reference to an object known to the Naming Service.  In our Java code,
the first time we try to invoke a method on a CORBA reference, however,
the Java application hangs.  Using OpenORB, we have narrowed it down to
the creation of a new socket in org.openorb.iiop.IIOPTransport.open().  I
assume that a similar problem is happening with Java IDL, but I have not
tracked it down that far.

Based on my understanding of CORBA in general, it seems that the initial
connection to the machine that holds the servant is failing to
complete--probably in the TCP three-way handshake.  Since it happens with
two different Java ORBs, it seems that something is going wrong on our
C++ side.  Do these symptoms point to any known issues with omniORB or
with CORBA in general?

  -Patrick

--
Patrick L. Hartling                     | Research Assistant, VRAC
patrick@vrac.iastate.edu                | 2624 Howe Hall -- (515)294-4916