[omniORB] Help Orbix and OmniOrb Spawning

Richard Hardgrave richard.hardgrave@teradyne.com
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:30:09 -0600 (CST)

Andrew,

We do just such a thing in our project, but it's not the
exact architecture you'll see in Henning & Vinoski,
"Advanced CORBA Programming with C++". Also, take a look
at the $TOP/src/examples/poa/servant_manager directory.

Our implementation is rather simple. We have a special
servant assigned to "manage" a cluster of other servants.
This is because they all share a non-re-entrant library.
The clients get references only through the manager.
The manager keeps track of the servants with its own
local data structures and handles "introducing" them to
the clients by passing their IORs to them.  The clients
tell the manager when they are through with the servant,
and the manager re-cycles it.
The servants and servant manager are, initially, spawned
independently, and the manager gets their IORs through
the Naming Service (after they register, of course).
Obviously, for a different application, one doesn't
necessarily have to be limited to getting references
only through the manager.

Regards,

Richard