[omniORB] corbaloc/corbaname

Thu, 07 Feb 2002 15:33:27 +0000

On Wednesday 6 February, Richard Hardgrave wrote:

> The omniORB guide says that the usual IOR string is considered a "URI".
> But, it's not the other way around.  You cannot just drop in a corbaname
> in where you might use an IOR string.   In some cases you can, but the
> object reference you get back has to be listening (or have an agent
> listening) on the port named in the URL.

You are confusing two different things. corbaloc is as you describe:
it refers to an object on a specific host and port, with the given
object key. With corbaname, on the other hand, you give the host and
port of the naming service (or just the host if it's listening on the
default port), and the name of the object to look up. Perhaps this is
illuminating:

  $ eg3_impl &
  $ eg2_clt corbaname::nameservice.host.name#test.my_context/Echo.Object

Or, alternatively,

  $ eg2_clt corbaname:rir:#test.my_context/Echo.Object

which uses the name service returned by resolve_initial_references.