[omniORB] How to build OmniORB under linux Alpha ?

Wed, 06 Feb 2002 22:57:32 +0000

On Wednesday 6 February, "Raffort, Thomas" wrote:

> Have you got more information on this issue ?
> We will see if we can do something...

Now I come to look, I see that perhaps it has been fixed in gcc 3.  If
you look at

  http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#alpha*-*-*

you'll see that in the Tru64/OSF section, it says that gcc does not
support --enable-threads. It used to be the case that it was not
supported on Linux either, and I can't see anything in the release
notes to say that it was added in gcc 3.

The documentation for Compaq's C++ compiler for Linux says that the
libraries are not thread safe, and I'm pretty certain that that
relates to exception handling code too.

Regardless of whether exception handling works or not, the build
should work OK. I think the thing about clashes with gcc naming are
harmless, and due to conflicts between the new gcc name mangling
scheme and some of the generated names omniORB uses. I don't think the
clashes ever actually break anything.

The problem with the libCOS.so is probably because the Alpha Linux
platform files don't have details about how to build a shared library,
since the platform is considered broken. It shouldn't be hard to fix
that.

I'm away at the moment. I'll have another, proper, look at this next
week when I'm back in Cambridge.