[omniORB] Assertion failure in giopImpl12 (omniORB4)

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Thu Dec 5 16:24:00 2002

On Thursday 5 December, Chris Newbold wrote:

> I believe that tracing was with -ORBtraceLevel 30, though not
> -ORBtraceThreadId. I assume the latter isn't going to magically show
> GIOP traffic... Where does the GIOP traffic go? Through the trace logger
> or somewhere else?

Looking at the code, I see that the GIOP dump always goes to stderr,
rather than through the logger. I guess I should change that...

> > Does the killed server restart?  If not, I'm bemused by the incoming
> > message that comes from it right at the end.
>
> Yes, but from the tracing I can see that it wasn't restarted until
> several seconds after the client crashed. Not only that, but we're just
> using ephemeral ports, so it wouldn't have come back at the same port,
> except by coincidence.
>
> I too was confused by the sudden reappearance of communication on port
> 2958. I'm wondering if some other (unrelated) process started listening
> on that port; I'm sure that would have befuddled omniORB to suddenly be
> connected to some non-ORB process, though I still wouldn't have expected
> an assertion failure...

It must be a GIOP message, otherwise it would have been caught earlier
on. In fact, it's definitely getting a GIOP Request (or something
corrupted to look like one), when it's expecting a reply. It _is_ an
ORB bug that it has an assertion failure in that situation -- it
should ignore the message or send back a message error. Before I fix
it, though, I'd like to understand what's going on here to cause it in
this case.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --