[omniORB] Assertion failure in giopImpl12 (omniORB4)

Chris Newbold cnewbold@laurelnetworks.com
Thu Dec 5 16:05:03 2002

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 10:54, Duncan Grisby wrote:

> Unfortunately, that doesn't tell me much other than that you have
> multiple threads calling out of the process, and multiple callbacks.
> Are you able to get tracing with -ORBtraceLevel 30 -ORBtraceThreadId
> 1?  That will show the GIOP traffic, and which thread is doing what.

I believe that tracing was with -ORBtraceLevel 30, though not
-ORBtraceThreadId. I assume the latter isn't going to magically show
GIOP traffic... Where does the GIOP traffic go? Through the trace logger
or somewhere else?

Now that I think about it, doesn't it go to stdout? I'll go try again
and be sure to capture that instead of just the tracelogger output.

> Does the killed server restart?  If not, I'm bemused by the incoming
> message that comes from it right at the end.

Yes, but from the tracing I can see that it wasn't restarted until
several seconds after the client crashed. Not only that, but we're just
using ephemeral ports, so it wouldn't have come back at the same port,
except by coincidence.

I too was confused by the sudden reappearance of communication on port
2958. I'm wondering if some other (unrelated) process started listening
on that port; I'm sure that would have befuddled omniORB to suddenly be
connected to some non-ORB process, though I still wouldn't have expected
an assertion failure...

--
====( Chris Newbold  <cnewbold@laurelnetworks.com> )==========================
      Laurel Networks, Inc. voice: +1 412 809 4200 fax: +1 412 809 4201