[omniORB] omniORB and OBV

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Tue Aug 27 10:22:01 2002

On Friday 23 August, "Brenneis, Steve" wrote:

> I would like to offer my vote for support of objects by value and ValueType
> in omniORB. I realize that there is limited time and support for new
> features and I also want to thank Duncan for his tireless efforts in keeping
> omniORB alive.

Does you vote come with money attached? :-)  Realistically, I don't
think I'll be able to work on OBV in the near future unless someone
(or a group) steps forward to pay for it.

> This would add an important (IMHO) ability for omniORB to work and play nice
> with Java RMI-IIOP applications. I am willing to offer some development time
> if anyone can point me at a good place to start. I haven't delved into the
> depths of omniORB code for a couple of years now and I am surely quite
> rusty.

I appreciate your offer of development time. If OBV development got
underway, I'm sure there would be parts of it that you could
profitably work on without having to delve too deeply into the
internals of omniORB. The C++ mapping implementation is an obvious bit
that is relatively stand-alone. Other parts, mainly the marshalling
and chunked encoding, have the potential to have very wide-ranging
consequences for low-level parts of the ORB, so I think they should
only be done by someone who understands a lot about the existing
transport code. Basically that's me, Sai-Lai, and maybe David Riddoch
at the moment. That's not to say that someone else couldn't learn what
they need to know, of course, but it wouldn't be a small job.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --