[omniORB] Object To String (O2S) conversion problem

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Thu Aug 22 14:13:01 2002

On Monday 19 August, Gregory Giguashvili wrote:

> I'm using omniORB 3.0.4 snapshot dated 25-April-2002. Recently, I came
> across a problem on SGI platform, which generated SIGPIPE in my programs.
> After investigating it a little, I came to the conclusion that the problem
> seems to be in the profile creation in omniORB and this is why...

I don't think the SIGPIPE is due to the uninitialised data. There _is_
sometimes uninitialised data in IORs (and other marshalled data),
since GIOP uses padding to align values. When omniORB needs to insert
padding bytes, it just skips over the data, allowing whatever happens
to be there to be output to the stream. This does no harm at all,
except that it upsets memory checking tools like valgrind. Most GIOP
messages contain some uninitialised padding, but the buffers are
usually reused, meaning most data is initialised as far as tools
watching them are concerned.

What led you to believe that it's the initialised data that is causing
the SIGPIPE?

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --