[omniORB] Small tweak for local object detection

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Thu Aug 22 12:49:01 2002

On Tuesday 13 August, Chris Newbold wrote:

> We ran into a limitation of the algorithm used by omniORB4 in
> giopRope.cc for determining whether or not an object reference
> identifies a local object.

[...]
> The problem with the local object detection algorithm is that it
> declares success after matching only one address in an incoming IOR.
> Since all our IORs contain the special "active" address, omniORB always
> thinks these objects are local.

Unfortunately, there are some situations in which you do want to match
on only one address. One example is where you issue a persistent
object reference, quit, then come back with a different set of
endpoints, but still including one you had before. In this case, you
would still want to consider the old reference local.

I think the proper solution to this issue is to have some sort of
address matching mask that allows you to specify which interfaces have
to match for a reference to be considered local. It's too late to do
that for omniORB 4.0.0, though, unless someone submits an
implementation in the next week or so. For now, it would be easy to
add an option to either match one or match all.

Anyone have any thoughts?

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --