[omniORB] .h/.C patches for omniORB 4

Alexy Khrabrov alexy.khrabrov@setup.org
Tue Aug 20 22:57:01 2002

I'll be maintaining the .h/.C patching kit for omniORB.

Currently, the patch kit for omniORB 4 is available at

http://www.setup.org/corba/omni/

as

http://www.setup.org/corba/omni/omnifix4-0820a.tar.bz2

How to use it:

Untar it above your omni source directory, as

/src/omni/omni-4-0820 $ cd ..

/src/omni $ tar jxf omnifix4-0820a.tar.bz2

It will create a fix4 diretcory with scripts, patches,
and the original/modified files for reference.

Edit fix4/fix to reflect the actual path to your fix4.
You'll need to do the same with add_patch, make_patch
is you want to regenerate the patches.

Now, fix it in one fell swoop!

/src/omni $ cd omni-4-0820
/src/omni/omni-4-0820 $ ../fix4/fix

[...fixing...]

Then, as usual,
/src/omni/omni-4-0820 $ cd ..
/src/omni $ mkdir omni-4-build
/src/omni $ cd !$
/src/omni/omni-4-build $ ../omni-4-0820/configure --prefix=<your prefix>
and then make, make install.

Duncan: in src/lib/omniORB/orbcore/dir.mk, you have
vpath %cc ...
If you replace it with
vpath %.cc ...
that would make it more uniform and easier to patch.  :-)

When I learn autoconf better, I'd like to come up with a simpler
mechanism for specifying various extensions.

Currently, I preserve the original .cc rules for user files,
and define variables C and h for the corresponding suffixes
in mk files.  C is supposed to be different from .cc for now.
You can define your own...

Let me know if you see good ways to improve the patching kit,
and/or if you find it of (no) use!

Cheers,
Alexy