[omniORB] Mandrake 3.04 RPM init.d script hangs on RedHat7.2

Steinar Bang sb@dod.no
Tue Aug 13 13:55:02 2002

I fetched the Mandrake source RPM for OmniORB 3.04
	http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/mandrake/8.2/contrib/SRPMS/omniorb-3.04-4mdk.src.html
and made it build on RedHat 7.2 (changes to the .spec file, were
neccessary, but I can't remember quite which).

The resulting RPM works fine, except for one thing:
 - if I run
	/etc/init.d/omninames start
   from a script the script hangs at the end
 - If I redirect stdout and stderr, ie.
	/etc/init.d/omninames start >/dev/null 2>&1
   or
	initlog -c "/etc/init.d/omninames start"
   the script terminates OK, but when the outermost script terminates,
   it kills the started omninames server, and when omnnames dies it
   pulls with it all object implementation processes

When started during boot there are no such problems, so I have looked
at /etc/rc.d/rc to see what it does, and what it does is to run
"initlog -c".

The script described above, is started from a wrapper script that
looks like this (ie. this is "the outermost script"):

#!/bin/sh
export CDROM=/mnt/cdrom
export LOGFILE=/tmp/reinstall.log

if [ -z $DISPLAY ]; then
  sh $CDROM/scripts/do_reinstall 2>&1 | tee $LOGFILE
else
  export VERSION=`cat $CDROM/version.txt`
  xterm -title "Upgrading existing installation to v$VERSION" \
    -e sh $CDROM/scripts/xterm_reinstall
fi

Does anone else use this init.d script?

Has anyone else experienced similar hang problems?

All ideas, hints, guesses etc. appreciated!

Thanx!

- Steinar