[omniORB] omniorb TCP ports, connection security

Alfonso Tames alfonso@tames.com
Thu Aug 8 21:47:01 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 12:11, Guy Middleton wrote:
> Hi all.  Sorry for the possibly naive questions here.  :-)
>
> I'm thinking of using omniORB for an application, and I need to evaluate
> any possible network security exposures.
>
> In particular, we would need to open up some holes in a firewall, so that
> remote clients can connect to a central server.  The holes would need to be
> on a known set of TCP ports, so I'd like to know if there is any way to
> restrict the ports that a server program uses.

Look at the omniORB documentation, use -ORBpoa_iiop_port <your port>
when running your server.

You will need to open another port for the naming service (if you are
going to use it).

> Also, is there any network authentication mechanism (such as SSL) available?
> I can't find any reference to one in the omniORB 3.0 manual.

omniORB 4 supports SSL.

> Finally, can somebody point me at a comparison of omniORB vs ORBit?  We're
> looking at both, and I don't yet know enough about CORBA to tell which one is
> better for us.

I don't know of any, but I would go with omniORB, it is more robust.
(although maybe not as fast).