[omniORB] client side call timeout

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Fri Aug 2 16:42:01 2002

On Friday 2 August, Jochen Behrens wrote:

> However, we know that omnioRB 4 will support the setting of ms instead
> of seconds. That would fit our constraints, but since that version is
> only in beta state, our customer would not accept to switch from 3.0.4 to 4.
>
> My Question is: Is it possible to patch the omniORB 3.0.4 with the
> omniORB 4 feature?  Has anyone a solution or an idea?

omniORB 4's timeout handling is much better than omniORB 3's, for all
sorts of reasons, so it would definitely be good if you could move to
version 4. Hopefully 4.0.0 will be released soon.

If you want to tweak omniORB 3, take a look at
src/lib/omniORB2/orbcore/scavenger.cc. In the run_undetatched()
function, you'll see a several calls to omni_thread::get_time() where
the ScanPeriod is used. If you change the calls from

  omni_thread::get_time(&abs_sec,&abs_nsec,ScanPeriod);

  omni_thread::get_time(&abs_sec,&abs_nsec,0,ScanPeriod);

then the scan period will be in nanoseconds rather than seconds, with
a maximum of one second.

You might have to tweak some of the other uses of ScanPeriod to cope
with the change, but it should be fairly easy.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --