[omniORB] client side call timeout

Jochen Behrens jochen.behrens@orthogon.com
Fri Aug 2 09:07:01 2002

Hi folks,

I've a question about the client side call timeout that can be set in
omniORB 3.0.4 with omniORB::callTimeOutPeriod. Unfortunately, that
version only supports the setting of seconds.  In our project we have
the constraint that the client call shall not lead to a block of the
main thread of more than 200 ms.
One solution might be to delagate the call to another thread, to ensure
non-blocking of the main-thread. For this approach we have to use/define
callback objects. This would be our solution in case there is no other
simple way/workaround.
However, we know that omnioRB 4 will support the setting of ms instead
of seconds. That would fit our constraints, but since that version is
only in beta state, our customer would not accept to switch from 3.0.4 to 4.

My Question is: Is it possible to patch the omniORB 3.0.4 with the
omniORB 4 feature?  Has anyone a solution or an idea?

Any hints are welcome,
Jochen