[omniORB] Message source

Ivanov, Roumen Roumen.Ivanov@drkw.com
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:01:33 +0200

Hi,
This might be suitable for you too.
Instead of the full servant interface you register a kind of factory in
which the clients register and obtain a servent IOR. See bellow:

interface Client
{
};

interface Servant
{
};

interface Server
{
    Servant    connect(Client client_obj, <more_attributes>);
};

The Server creates and activates one Servant per Client. The Servant
implementation will be initialized with, and keeps any needed data about the
Client and its session's specific parameters including the Client IOR.
The Server's implementation is extended with the real implementation of all
methods of the Servant, having an additional parameter like ServantImpl*.
(This will be of course invisible through the exposed interfaces).
The Servant implementation will redirect internally all calls to the Server
implementation, passing its own (C++) "this" in the additional parameter.
You will decide whether to increment the refCounter or not (to use an
instance of the refCounting object or pointer).

This model I implemented when I needed to migrate an old Orbix system to
OmniORB.
Orbix used to generate its stubs whith an additional last parameter
CORBA::Environment & (Orbix specific), through which you could obtain some
information about the caller (if not internal call).

Probably I'm not saying anything new and original, but it worked very well
for me, kept me away from TLS two years ago, and preserved the interfaces of
significant changes.

HTH,
Roumen

If you have received this e-mail in error or wish to read our e-mail disclaimer
statement and monitoring policy, please refer to http://www.drkw.com/disc/email/
or contact the sender