[omniORB] first steps: CosTransactions prototype in python.

Ulrich Eck ueck@net-labs.de
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 22:32:49 +0200

Hi Duncan,

thanks for your answer.

> > We plan to implement a prototype of a CosTransaction Service spec 1.2
> > in python based on omniORB 4.0.
>
> That sounds good. Are you planning to release it publicly?

first i must say that right now we work on conceptional issues and try to figure out
if we can make it with our knowledge.

If there ever will be a python-implementation of a CosTransaction Service we
will try to develop it together with interested people as open-source project.

We're both relativly new to corba but exprerienced in python. We have a project
were we need CosTransactions. We first designed our own Transaction Service and
looked at the CosTransactions Specification afterwards.We saw a very similar system as
we designed and decided to implement at least a "compatible" thing for our project.

This is were we are right now.

We will need some help to setup the trickier parts like i mentioned below.

> An interceptor written in C++ would be able to add and handle the
> necessary service contexts to the GIOP traffic. I don't think it's
> particularly sensible to allow interceptors to be implemented in
> Python, since it would be a lot of work to do the binding, and it
> would slow things down terribly.
>
> I think all the APIs are there (or will be very soon) for applications
> to add their own Current objects. Again, this would have to be done at
> least partially from C++.

I looked at the cvs-sources today and tried to figure out how interceptors
are linked into the orb and how they are implemented .. the only example
that is available afaik is the ssl-transport .. which is definitly not a learning
example.

Would it be possible to get an example how to implement an interceptor
that that has access to the CORBA::Current ??

We will setup a project-page if we decide to really start this project
and inform the list ..

If there are any projects with similar aims are out there ..
please contact me .. perhaps we can share work.

Ulrich Eck
net-labs Systemhaus GmbH
ueck@net-labs.de