[omniORB] Given an IOR how to determine the id.kind name?

Bruce Visscher visschb@RJRT.com
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 15:19:30 -0400

--------------InterScan_NT_MIME_Boundary

Mark Johnson wrote:

> If I am given an IOR how can I detemine what its fully qualified id.kind
> name is?

Short answer: You can't.

Long answer:

Supposing that you know the IOR is bound to a node in "the" CosNaming
name graph, the only way to find the IOR would be to perform a recursive
search using the CosNaming API.  Given that this would ultimately rely
on the is_equivalent method, the results would not be reliable.

IOW, you should try to avoid having to do this.  It occurs to me that
you could use a convention for the kind field that would limit the
choices.  Then you could devise a more reliable application specific
replacement for is_equivalent.
(Assuming you really needed to do this.)

Bruce
--

Bruce Visscher                                        visschb@rjrt.com

--------------InterScan_NT_MIME_Boundary

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), contains information that may be confidential, protected by the attorney-client or other legal privileges, and/or proprietary non-public information.  If you are not an intended recipient of this message or an authorized assistant to an intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system.  Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message and/or any of its attachments (if any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.

--------------InterScan_NT_MIME_Boundary--