[omniORB] Getting something out of an exception

Visscher, Bruce VISSCHB@RJRT.com
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 19:00:50 -0400

--------------InterScan_NT_MIME_Boundary

Tobias,

Probably, the best bet if you really don't know what to expect is to use RTTI.  I.e,
provided you have compiled with RTTI enabled, display the typeid(e).name().

BTW (to the omniORB developers), do the default omniORB compiler switches still exclude the
enabling of RTTI (-GR) on the NT platform?  I never liked that idea.  I realize that one use
of RTTI is for up casting and it could be argued that this isn't appropriate in a CORBA C++
environment (we're supposed to use narrow, not dynamic_cast), but I have found the ability
to report the exact name of an exception to be (extremely) useful.  If you try to do this
(invoke typeid to get the type name) and RTTI isn't enabled then the C++ Run Time Library
sends a rather unfriendly message to the user.

Bruce