[omniORB] GUI and OmniORB Event loop

bjorn rohde jensen bjensen@mdsproteomics.dk
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 14:41:30 +0200

Hi,

 I did play a bit with CORBA GUI applications using X strictly for fun,
and
i would say, that usually you have two basic choices. ORB's have a
blocking
run() method, and a pair of work_pending()/perform_work() methods, and
in
my limited experience so do most GUIs such as X. You could write a
combined
event loop using the work_pending/perform_work methods of the orb and
their
GUI counter parts, or you can dedicate a thread to the event loop of the
ORB
and one to the event loop of the GUI. I chose to use threads, since i
did
not want to mess with the event loops, and the OS is probably quite a
bit
better at sharing the cpu resources between two event loops, than any
mixed
event loop, i was ready to write.

Sincerely

Bjorn Rohde Jensen