[omniORB] starting nameservice within a server

Bruce Fountain B_Fountain@motherwell.com.au
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:07:34 +0800

Duncan Grisby wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 October, Matthias Hilmer wrote:
>
> > i know that TAO provides a class (TAO_Naming_Server) that
> allows me to
> > start the naming service from within the server (as a thread).
>
> Why would you want to do that?  Is there any advantage over forking a
> new process for it?  I suppose there will be a bit of a performance
> gain, but if you're hitting the naming service hard enough for it to
> matter, you probably shouldn't be.

I think that all the TAO services (and there are a lot of them)
can be created as objects rather than needing to be run as
separate processes. I think that the main reason for this approach
is so that you can bundle several services into one process, making
system configuration easier. Simplification of unit testing (as
Matthias suggested) is another advantage that I hadn't thought of.

Bruce Fountain